Tuesday, April 30, 2019

My VIth Minister Of Education

Rory J. Koopmans, B. Admin., #6, 14504-108 Avenue, Edmonton, Alberta T5N 1G8

April XXXth, MMXIX

Hon. Adriana LaGrange, MLA-Elect, Minister of Education, United Conservative, Red Deer-North

Dear Adriana:

My sincere congrats on being sworn into Her Majesty's Government's Cabinet under the direction of Hon. Premier Jason Kenney, PC, MLA-Elect, Premier & President of the Executive Council & Minister of Intergovernmental Relations, United Conservative, Calgary-Lougheed.

Just a few minor points in regards to your new office. The review taken up by your predecessor is weak in the context of the Aboriginal Studies 10-30 courses, which are a subset of course of Social Studies. I have 357 High School Credits & 2 High School Diplomas so I know better than any student in Alberta High School History about what courses work & what courses don't, this is undisputed! I myself was denied the right to take these courses through Alberta Distance Learning Centre (ADLC) for several years because I wasn't aboriginal, several staff told me this to my face.

So of course I waited them out & scouted out the correspondence schools province wide waiting to strike & an alternate school let me take them as ADLC had given a whole bunch of the paper copies of the course for free. The revenge for me was all the more sweet as they let me take all 3 courses for free when I explained to them how reverse racist ADLC was to me. I have aboriginal & Metis relatives, why should I not be able to take those courses like any student?

I would however suggest that the Social Studies 10-30 courses go back to teaching more political history & place the history of Ist Nations back in the Aboriginal Studies courses. In this way, Alberta students get the best of both world's, & they avoid the duplication in content that the previous administration put in. I would also suggest that World Geography 30 should definitely be revamped as it has a MCMLXXXVI (1986) time stamp on it & the world & its geography & climate & borders have changed significantly since then.

Enjoy Your Time At The Helm & I Feel Your Past School Trustee Experience Will Be An Asset For Jason,

Rory

Source: Myself.

No comments: