Tuesday, May 21, 2019

Proper Parliamentary Procedures Plus Protocols & Premiers Notley & Kenney

Rory J. Koopmans, B. Admin., #6, 14504-108 Avenue, Edmonton, Alberta T5N 1G8

May XXIst, MMXIX

Hon. Adriana LaGrange, MLA, Minister of Education, United Conservative, Red Deer-North

Dear Adriana:

It was truly nice to meet you today upstairs outside the Speaker's Lounge after the Election of the Speaker, Deputy Speaker & Committee Chairwoman, & Deputy Chair of Committees. A few points of interest for my 2,116th visit to the Alberta Legislative Assembly for students. A hearty congrats to new Speaker Nathan Cooper, MLA, United Conservative, Olds-Didsbury-Three Hills, Deputy Speaker & Chairwoman of Committees Angela Pitt, MLA, United Conservative, Airdrie-East, & Deputy Chairman of Committees Nicholas Milliken, MLA, United Conservative, Calgary-Currie.

1. The Office of the Sergeant-At-Arms lied to me & said the Election of the Speaker "wasn't open to the public" & that it was "invite only." I knew this was a bald-faced lie as I have been to several, they also told me that it was "full" today. This was a second lie as less than 35% of all the seats in the Public & MLA Galleries were full.

2. To his credit, Sergeant-At-Arms Brian Hodgson told me that the event was indeed "public" so I showed up. And he's in charge of the Chamber's security so I'll take his word over his department.

3. Culture & Status of Women's Minister Leela Aheer's (United Conservative, Chestermere-Strathmore) staff refused to assist me or confirm to me that the event was public which was odd as she knows me & has corresponded with me several times & chatted with me as well. I have even heard her play music & sing at several events (superb musical talent, Minister Aheer has the confidence in her that I have never had nor will ever have in myself!)

4. Environment & Parks Minister Jason Nixon's (United Conservative, Rimbey-Rocky Mountain House-Sundre) staff told me to come on by & I was informed that a slot in the assembly NE exterior parking lot would be reserved for me & it indeed was when I arrived. This of course made me an "invited" guest by definition of the legislature & Protocol Department.

5. After leaving the Assembly Chamber from the Election I called the Speaker's Office & told Alberta Sheriffs & Assembly Security that I would be going up to the Speaker's Lounge so I could shake hands with the new Speaker. So that I'd get "the trifecta" of Speakers handshakes in a single day having just shaken hands with Former Speakers Bobby Wanner, New Democratic & Kenny Kowalski, Progressive Conservative in the main Rotunda downstairs. What a pity Gene Zwozdesky, Progressive Conservative couldn't be there to, because I know that "Zwoz" would have given me the "4peat" on Speaker handshakes in a single day! I awaited Katya from Speaker Cooper's staff to double clear me through security & bring me over to the Speaker's Lounge. I did this even though I had cleared security to get into the building, as the key is for students of parliamentary procedures & security. Plus no one from any security or legislative department can say I acted inappropriately in any way, shape, or form!

6. I got to meet new Assembly Clerk Merwan Sahar, I am ecstatic he got the job as he was a fabulous Auditor-General!

7. Funny how I am the most watched by security in the Chamber & yet I am the only person not clapping or putting my feet up or reacting in any way. So in otherwords, the only person in the galleries "obeying" all rules whilst sitting there.

8. Didn't Her Honour The Lieutenant-Governor Lois Mitchell look amazing?! Best looking lady in the Chamber today by far & such a commanding presence on behalf of Her Majesty!

Preventive & God Save The Queen, 

Rory

Source: Www.Assembly.Ab.Ca

No comments: