Wednesday, July 2, 2014
Premier Chuck Stewart: The Man Of Many Portfolios
July IInd, MMXIV
Hon. Jeff Johnson, B. Ed., MLA, Minister of Education, Progressive Conservative, Athabasca-Sturgeon-RedH2O
The Hon. Premier Charles Stewart, PC was the IIIrd & last of Alberta's Liberal Premiers, serving from MCMXVII-MCMXXI (1917-21) & he had a long & storied career in both provincial & later federal politics. He was born in Strabane, Ontario & was a farmer by trade.
- Charles was big on supporting children and their needs. Students might be interested to note that he had VIII (8) children with his wife Jane.
- Charles served not just as the MLA IV Sedgewick, but as the go to cabinet man in the portfolios of Railways & Telephones, Provicial Secretary, Public Works, & as the Ist ever Minister of Alberta Municipal Affairs as his Liberal governing party saw the need IV better relations with municipalities. This definitely suited him to be Premier.
- Charles later served post-Premier's chair as the MP for the Quebec riding of Argenteuil & later Edmonton-West (coincidentally, the latter riding I ran as the Progressive Conservative candidate for in MM (2000.)
- Charles served as Minister of the Interior & Mines for Liberal Prime Minister William Lyon Mackenzie King & successfully negotiated a fair transfer of natural resources to his United Farmers Of Alberta (UFA) successors as Premier from the federal government. Thus giving Alberta family's & their school children greater revenues for education, health care, & other needs.
- Charles enjoyed being a family man & visiting with Charles Herbert & other kids on their family farm near Killam, Alberta.
Was A Stonemason By Trade As Well Just Like IInd Prime Minister Of Canada The Right Hon. Sir Alexander Mackenzie, PC: Liberal,
Source: Documentary Heritage Society Of Alberta.