Friday, August 27, 2021

Voting Strategically

 

Rory J. Koopmans, B. Admin., Stony Plain Tim Hortons Courtesy Wifi, Unit B, 72 Boulder Boulevard, Stony Plain, Alberta T7Z 1V7

August XXVIIth, MMXXI

Hon. Adriana LaGrange, MLA, Minister of Education, United Conservative, Red Deer-North

Dear Adriana:

Sitting here in Sturgeon River-Parkland, I agree with the discussion on "Provincewide With Shaye Ganam" this morning that political science students should take note that "strategic voting" does indeed go on in every single writ at every single level of office. I myself got 3,009 votes in MM (2000) in the Federal Election Writ in Edmonton-West running as a Progressive Conservative when it and the Canadian Alliance constituted two separate parties. At the time I was XXIV (24) & turned XXV (25) during that writ. I had honestly never considered running to stop a certain person or persons from winning. I was just running on the nostalgia of it being "the party of Sir John A. Macdonald." I was just running for fun & to try a different experience, I wound up getting enough votes so Liberal Candidate & then Justice Minister Hon. A. Anne McLellan, PC won another term by just 732 votes. Some folks undoubtedly voted for me to split the vote one way or another. Its truly one of the greatest mistakes I ever made in my life having been a candidate for any office at any level & I regret it more & more with each passing year. But at least Mrs. Betty Unger the losing Canadian Alliance Candidate wound up being a great Conservative elected Senator & I was very honoured to cast a ballot for her! I like following & commentating & volunteering at events. Even being a paid election worker at all levels, I don't mind that at all. But being a candidate is just isn't for me. Kind of odd I know when you consider I have Aspberer's Syndrome or "high-functioning" autism & thus I talk & yes run on a lot more than the average person which is what candidates to win and maintain political office. I don't even mind admitting that sometimes (yes its possible) I even annoy myself, haha!

I Need To Be "Strategically Silent",

Rory

Source: "Provincewide With Shaye Ganam", The Corus Radio Network.



No comments: