Friday, June 16, 2017

This Is Not Fair!

Rory J. Koopmans, B. Admin.,  #6, 14504-108 Avenue, Edmonton, Alberta T5N 1G8

June XVIth, MMXVII

Hon. Dave Eggen, B. Ed., MLA, Minister of Education, New Democratic, Edmonton-Calder

Dear Dave:

To lose Alberta Venture Magazine Publisher Ruth Kelly at just 60 by suicide is a rather tragic blow, especially for her good hubby Larry & her family. I met her a couple of times & she did a superb article on my dad Joe when he was retiring from his furniture store Koopmans' Furniture & selling out.

It is a lesson that we cannot make fun of those with mental health & depression issues. I myself see an autism psychiatrist & social worker due to my Aspergers Syndrome or "high functioning" autism, I've never been suicidal & therefore I cannot "self-terminate", but I sure wouldn't judge Ruth if I had known her better but instead tried to encourage her to seek mental help.

Just a few months ago it was one quarter of a century since we lost the great Barbara Frum to leukemia at just 54. For journalism & publishing students, it is hard to see such quality ladies with such skill go. As both Babs & Ruthie were beyond excellent & stellar in their contributions to their communities & society with their graciousness & integrity & frankly had so much more to contribute!

Extreme Condolences To Ruth's Family & Publishing Friends,

Rory

Source: The Edmonton Journal, Reporter: Liane Faulder.

No comments: