May XXVIIIth, MMXIV
Hon. Jeff Johnson, B. Ed., MLA, Minister of Education, Progressive Conservative, Athabasca-Sturgeon-RedH2O
Today we have to show students true greatness & we start here with the greatest & longest serving (VII (7)) terms Premier of them all: Alberta's VIIIth (8th) Premier Ernest C. Manning who ruled this province deftly from MCMXLIII (1943)-MCMLXVIII (1968). Over XXV.V (25.5) consecutive years in office, stunning really. It just shows the quality of the man.
- Ernest & his beloved wife Muriel had "their young son Preston" with them on his "Back II The Bible Hour" broadcast Sundays from Edmonton's beautiful Paramount (TM) Theatre in palatial downtown Edmonton, as well as on road trips where Premier Manning would tour with the show across Canada with appearances promoting his political & religious message combined through his & Social Credit's Christian focus. Ernest or "E." Preston Manning, that little boy went onto have his own successful career as leader of the conservative focused Reform Party on the federal scene as well as serving as the Leader of Her Majesty's Loyal Official Opposition in Canada's House of Commons.
- Ernest after retiring as Premier was seen as a highly honourable man & was appointed to Canada's Senate where he served as a Social Credit Senator from MCMLXX (1970)-MCMLXXXIII (1983). So both father & son had the birthing idea of reforming the Canadian Senate to make it more accountable to the Canadian people, including students & their family's. Plus, Premier Manning was appointed by Liberal Prime Minister of the Day, the Right Honourable Pierre Elliott Trudeau who could have appointed a Liberal to the vacancy but just had so much respect for the former Alberta Premier. That took courage.
- Ernest has a high school named after him in Calgary, this proves he had the respect of students. He also has a Calgary business park named after him, which shows he was a respected person for business leaders to admire. The Manning Freeway in Edmonton is named after him, which proves that Ernest took people's transportation needs seriously as Premier. A provincial riding in northeast Edmonton is named after him & is represented by your colleague, Peter Sandhu, MLA, Progressive Conservative: thus proving that Ernest was a superb political machine. A town in northern Alberta is named after Ernest which shows he cared about small town & rural folks, not just Albertans living in metropolis's such as Edmonton & Calgary. Not bad for a man born in Carnduff, Saskatchewan.
- Ernest served as an MLA for both Calgary & Edmonton ridings. So as a result, he knew the province from top to bottom.
- Ernest was the first ever graduate of the Calgary Prophetic Bible Institute, so the future evangelical broadcaster truly lived & breathed his Christian message from the time he was a student on forward.
Manning Consultants Limited,
Source: The Manning Centre IV Building Democracy.